Monday, July 17, 2006

Continued Hotness

Here we are in the fun part of the summer. Continuing days of ridiculous heat and growing humidity. Not unexpected, it's the same every year, but that doesn't make it any more comfortable. That's all I'm saying.

My dog has lost his mind. I just let him out into the backyard, thinking he would do his usual patrol walk around the swimming pool, but no. Max took two steps and layed down on the concrete surrounding the pool. He'll be re-thinking that decision any time now.

The space shuttle made a perfect landing this morning. I heard it on the radio coming back from driving son to class. It's a magnificent thing when it all goes well. I can't relate to folks who don't accept the wisdom of a space program. And don't even get my husband started...

Some things just make a person shake her head. I was speaking with the woman who works as secretary in the engineering section at hubby's workplace Friday morning. At first I didn't think too much about the questions I was helping her with concerning hubby's visa for his trip to Kazakhstan but later I did. One question in particular caused the head shaking motion. She got to the nationality box on the form. Thinking she knew the answer I remained silent waiting for the next question. No, I hear her say "Anglo Saxon". What? No, I say in a calm tone. He is American. That is his nationality. Oh, ok she says. You know, some of the questions were not unusual that I would need to answer for her - college? Purdue University. Degree program? Electrical Engineering. Location of Purdue University? W. Lafayette, Indiana. Ok. No big deal. But it sure makes me wonder how many visas she's filled out for Americans with the description of Anglo Saxon in the nationality box.

Bless her heart.

"A life employed in the pursuit of useful knowledge, in honourable actions and the practice of virtue...yields an unspeakable comfort to the soul." - Cicero

3 comments:

srp said...

There is that southern girl slipping in again.... bless her heart indeed. Someone's alarm didn't go off the day they handed out the brains. The thing that annoys me the most is to have to spell a word for someone over the phone. If I didn't know how to spell it I would certainly write it phonetically and look it up, wouldn't dare ask the person on the other end of the line to spell it.

AC said...

I am just amazed at the shuttle. The amount of math is mindblowing, huh. It was a beautiful lift-off and a thrilling landing.

My husband went to Purdue as well! Undergrad and grad school. He's 60 so he would have been there 64-ish to 1970.

Maybe its just me, but I laughed at the Anglo-Saxon story. I visualized your husband dressed out in chainmail & full armor.

Sheri & SuZan said...

I had to watch the landing yesterday and it still blows me away!

"Bless her heart" that made me giggle.

:)