Friday, August 11, 2006

Friday, Too Tired to Think

Today as I glanced out of the kitchen window I noticed the mail carrier approaching the house. He was wiping his face with a towel. I felt so bad for him, I went to the fridge, grabbed a bottle of water and ran to the front door. OK, walked briskly. I startled the poor man when I opened the front door as he was about to open the mail box. Avoiding the heart attack, he handed me our mail and I handed him the water. We're even.

I paid good money for son and I to see Blue Man Group at the St. Charles Theatre in Boston a couple of years ago and now I see a performance of theirs is free on cable.

I was thinking about the cool souvenirs hubby has brought back from traveling the world. From this last trip he brought back two hats to add to the ever growing collection he and son so treasure. These hats are in the style of skull caps but cover most of the scalp. One is forest green velvet with gold bracade designs and the other is white cotton with a pale green and yellow design. Winter and summer hats. Last trip from Kazakastan, he brought back a large wool hat that is their version of a cowboy hat.

We also have Mao's little red book from China, which really creeps me out, a gold painted goat's head from Iraq - they used goat heads for soccer and also creepy, a large jade penguin from China, large unpolished hunks of amythest from Brazil, porcelein chopsticks with enamel cloisenne embellishment, a very large polished shell from the beaches of Rio de Janerio. Just lots of cool stuff, I think. We have foreign currency out the wazoo.

I see Diahann Carroll is joining the cast of "Grey's Anatomy" this fall. I love her. What a class act. Remember her show, "Julia" and that little boy who played her son?

There was a ceremony swearing in 1200 new citizens of our country yesterday in our fair city. One man was from Sudan and the newspaper interviewed him a bit. Five years ago he was escaping his homeland out of fear and despair and now he is an American. His big joy yesterday? An American passport that he said represented freedom. Another cool story was the 98 year old Mexican woman who has been here since 1916 and just now a citizen. More block squares in our national quilt.

My favorite quote from yesterday's terror story:
"That's not a pain in the butt if I don't get killed on an airplane." A woman interviewed about the extra security restrictions at Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston.

Yeah, she's a Texan.

6 comments:

Beverly said...

Good post. I usually get a little bit irritated every time the alarm goes of when I pass through becasue of my knee. On Thursday, the day of the arrests, I was flying home from Richmond. I had thrown my bottle of water away already.

The security people were so kind. I was taken to a private area and searched...even my purse this time. Small price to pay.

I love the stories about the people who become citizens. We should all have to travel and spend just a couple of days in countries like Sudan. Our attitude would be a lot different when we came back.

On tV this morning, they were showing some soldiers coming back from Iraq. One young woman said, "You have no idea what we have here until you go there."

Me said...

I had to read the comment twice, but then I smiled. I agree with her. LOL.

As for the collection... do you have everything out on display or just boxed up? I'm wondering where on earth I'd put all that stuff.

Jim said...

Just a note, the Blue Man Group was on PBS (Channel 8, over the air broadcast) last week also.
But on TV we didn't get to experience the total involvement when we unrolled and passed all that toilet paper down towards the front.
At least that's what happened in Las Vegas. Perhaps it stayed there?
..

Jennifer said...

I would agree that it should be safety first, whatever the price in time and inconvenience.

I just hope I can remember that sentiment when it's me standing in the lines a month from now! :-)

Sheri & SuZan said...

Great light hearted post! It is sooooo hot and of course I'm working on the courtyard to get it finished before I start back to work on Wednesday.

That is awsome that your husband brings back so many goodies from his travels. Even more special that he and your son have a collection together.

Loved the lady's quote!

srp said...

We flew back on Monday, I don't think we had anything liquid. No, I take that back. Nyssa had chocolate milk and a fuze drink and she would have had to leave them behind. But anything to be safe. Until we collar the ACLU and quit being so politically correct we will be examining grandmothers when we should be looking for specific suspicious people. And it isn't racial profiling either!