Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Wednesday Wanderings

Moving slowly this morning. Taking full advantage of a week without much going on. Next week we'll be easing into school mode. Son has Junior class orientation next week. It goes so fast.

I was watching VH-1 a bit over the weekend, specifically a show on the year 1975. Whoohoo. Brought back lots of fun memories. The same year that brought us Springsteen's Thunder Road also brought us Patti LaBelle's Lady Marmalade. Both great. In movies it went from "Shampoo" with Warren Beatty and Goldie Hawn to "Pink Panther" with the ultimate comic, Peter Sellers. And then there were my boys, the Cincinnati Reds. I loved watching them play ball on tv. I had a huge crush on Johnny Bench, he could do no wrong in my eyes. And when they were World Champs, it was all so exciting.

Days gone by.

I watched some of the debating on S.3711 yesterday in the Senate. It's the Gulf Coast Drilling Bill and they passed it 71-25, but not before we heard all about evil big oil. This bill has to do with leasing and royalty funds going to the Gulf coast states for coastal restoration. The 8.3 million acres in eastern Gulf of Mexico it entails is a drop in the bucket but it's a start. Unless you like being under the thumb of others overseas who would like to see you wiped off the face of the earth. Or if you enjoy paying more at the pump. The oil drilling off the Gulf coast is light years from where it began, and there is no excuse for such hand wringing about it. Especially on the environmental front. How often is a spill reported? Even after Hurricane Katrina, it wasn't devastation from oil drilling rigs causing problems.

Now if some oil refineries would be built, we'd be in pretty good shape on the fossil fuel thing.

Castro dead yet? Just askin'.


"One of the key things for people as far as joy is concerned is not living a selfish, self-centered lifestyle where we live our lives expecting everybody else to do something for us." - Joyce Meyer

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Have you noticed that MTV is ignoring their 25 birthday, but VH1 is playing it to the max? Apparently, MTV doesn't want to advance or celebrate their advancing age to their hipster audience. Or something. Silly.

You made me snort with the Castro bit. I'm just sayin'.

srp said...

It won't do any good to drill more if there is no place to refine the oil. I wish all large cities could have subways.... I love them! Except I would put in escalators instead of steps. Only the young can get around easily in New York with the steps and such.

(Trying to catch up.)

Beverly said...

You stirred up my wonderful memories of living in Cincinnati right after college. I lived there from 1963-1968...loved it and loved the Cincinnati Reds. Those were the days of Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, Tony Perez, Joe Morgan, and I don't remember who all else.

I remember in the 70's when they swept the Athletics for the title. I had kidded a lady at Sweet Adelines (she was from Cincy) that I didn't know how on earth the Reds stood a chance against the A's, and they swept them...did she ever give me a big grin one night at chorus.

And I love whatever Joyce Meyer has to say. Thanks.