Saturday, October 14, 2006

Weekend Notes

It's the weekend so that means cooking and books. While I was at the grocery store this morning gathering menu items, I purchased sushi, freshly made at the sushi station, for lunch. We enjoyed ribeye steaks and baked potatoes, along with chopped avocado and tomato salad for dinner. Dessert was a pecan pie I made last night. Tomorrow brings burgers on the grill for lunch and salmon with cous cous for dinner.

Our weather has been really nice yesterday and today. It's really the best time of year for Houston. The mornings are cooling off and the air conditioning doesn't have to run so much. My checkbook will be grateful.

Did you see Bono boarding Air Force One with the President and Christy Turlington a couple of days ago as he was leaving Chicago? They visited about 10 minutes. Bono wantd to talk to the President about aids and Africa. He thanked the President for his stand up attitude and for honoring his commitments of financial support. One of the Bush twins, Barbara, has been in Africa several times to work in programs going into place for the people.

I love Bono. He is a performer that truly gets it. He leaves personal political beliefs out of his humanitarian work and gets so much accomplished. Lots of others out there would be wise to follow his example.


Did you see the photo of Alec Baldwin doing the finger stab gesture to th NYC police officer at the crime scene tape in front of the apartment building the Yankee player's plane crashed into? Baldwin, full of himself as ususal, was demanding to be allowed to cross the barrier. He's so important, you know. Yuk.

Former Congressman Gerry Studds is dead. His husband announced his death. He had been in the hospital since collasping Oct. 3 from a blood clot in his lung. He regained consciousness but remained in the hospital. He was scheduled to go to rehabilitation center but he died. I wish could be all Amish now but I'm not. I don't have the urge to say RIP about this death. He was censured by he House for having a physical sexual relationship with a 17 year old intern, then 2 others came forward. He was openly gay so no one was outting him. He refused to apologize to anyone for his behavior. He would not resign and as re-elected by his Massachusetts constituents for several more terms. At the same time, a Republican congressman from Illinois was censured for inappropriate behavior with a intern and he ran again after apologizing. He wasn't re-elected.

These were physical relationships, not just messages or notes.


"America is not just a country, it's an idea." - Bono

I watched some of the dedication of the Air Force Memorial in DC today. Very nice. I love the design. My husband is a veteran of the Air Force from the Vietnam war days. I hope we get up there and have it on the itinary in the not too distant future.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I love Bono, too. He's got it exactly right, in my book.

The DC area is such a great trip. My heart beats faster just entering the city. Did you know I was born there? Of course you didn't. Well, until now. Ha!