Thursday, October 18, 2007

Long Live the Rat Pack

Joey Bishop died. He died Wednesday at the age of 89. The last of the Rat Pack is gone.

The Rat Pack, the coolest of the cool, circa the 1960's, was a group of Hollywood performers who frequently appeared together in Las Vegas at the Sands Hotel. Frank Sinatra was the leader of the Pack and his Rats were Dean Martin, Sammy Davis, Peter Lawford and Joey Bishop.

Joey Bishop was the lesser known of the group. He was the star of two tv programs, both with the name of "The Joey Bishop Show." The first was a sitcom with him playing a talk show host. For the other show, he was one.

I remember watching the talk show, the real one, with my Mamaw as a girl. His sidekick was Regis Philbin, a very young Regis Philbin.

The end of an era.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found the news sad, too, but I actually wiped a tear away at the same news about Deborah Kerr today. She's been a favorite for nearly as long as I've been passionately in love with Cary Grant.

The end of an era, indeed.

And you know, this always happens in threes.

Beverly said...

I saw the headline, but I didn't read any further. Thanks. I hadn't read about Deborah Kerr either. There is something sad about all that...a part of our lives gone.

It's good we have memories.