Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I Did. No, I Did

Watching the video of Chelsea Clinton answering questions from the audience of her gathering in Bloomington, Indiana (my husband's hometown) was rather wince worthy. She's even been asked about the Monica affair as it relates to her mother. What is she suppose to say? Her mother and father wouldn't know the truth if it smacked them up side the head? It speaks to her fortitude that she is out on the campaign trail in the first place.

It does boggle the mind, though, as to why people at the highest levels still feel the need to embellish experiences and accomplishments, doesn't it? I suppose everyone is a mere mortal and possessing some level of insecurity. Some of the embellishing just seems so unnecessary, so plain silly. They get caught in their nonsense, too. Especially in this way too long campaign season.

The whole Hillary in the Bosnian war zone was unnecessary. People like Sinbad, grabbing a sound bite of publicity, calls her out on the corkscrew landing and running for an awaiting vehicle due to sniper fire recollection. He supports Obama. I haven't heard Sheryl Crow weigh in yet. Last I read, she supports Hillary. Who knows?

As a Republican, I find the back and forth of the two Democrat candidates entertaining. It is particularly ratcheted up today. And, the Obama campaign aides are just as guilty as the Clinton aides. Neither owns the high road.

The most jolting aspect, for me as a Republican, is when I have actually written posts including anything other than negative tones for Hillary. I truly dislike her and her husband.

In yesterday's Washington Post, Shailagh Murray and Jonathan Weisman produced an article comparing the embellishments brought forth by Obama and Clinton as far as legislative work is concerned. It began with Obama's claims to have been a part of the immigration policy deal in April 2006. "As the half-dozen senators -- including John McCain and Edward M. Kennedy -- headed to announce their plan, they met Sen. Barack Obama, who made a request common when Capitol Hill news conferences are in the offing: "Hey, guys, can I come along?" And when Obama went before the microphones, he was generous with his list of senators to congratulate -- a list that included himself." "Those morning sessions had attracted just three to four senators a side, Sen. Arlen Specter recalled, each deeply involved in the issue. Obama was not one of them."

"In 2007, after the first comprehensive immigration bill had died, the senators were back at it, and again, Obama was notably absent, staffers and senators said. At one meeting, three key negotiators recalled, he entered late and raised a number of questions about the bill's employment verification system. Kennedy and Specter both rebuked him, saying that the issue had already been resolved and that he was coming late to the discussion. Kennedy dressed him down, according to witnesses, and Obama left shortly thereafter."

Hillary has tried to claim her years of experience as First Lady as Presidential nominee material. After the health insurance debacle of hers in 1993 and 1994, she is tracked through the release of her schedule paper trail as having fairly much gone back into traditional First Lady duties. Those from the former inner circle who have spoken out say she had no part in decisions made at the cabinet level.

Kennedy, a former cheerleader for the Clintons is now an Obama supporter. Chris Dodd is another senator with a bit of a different recollection of a piece of legislation and is today a supporter of Obama. "Just this week, as the financial markets were roiling in the wake of the Bear Stearns collapse, Obama made another claim that was greeted with disbelief in some corners of Capitol Hill. On March 13, Dodd, the chairman of the Senate Banking Committee and Rep. Barney Frank, chairman of the House Financial Services Committee, unveiled legislative proposals to allow the Federal Housing Administration to guarantee new loans from banks willing to help homeowners in or approaching foreclosure. Obama and Clinton were in Washington for a day-long round of budget voting, but neither appeared at the housing news conference. Yet Obama on Monday appeared to seek top billing on Dodd's proposal."

For Clinton, another embellishment is on SCHIP legislation. "You know how she says, 'I started SCHIP'? Well, so did I," joked Sen. John D. Rockefeller, one of the Democrats who pushed the bill across the finish line along with Kennedy. Both have endorsed Obama."

Sometimes it's just best not to say anything.

4 comments:

Rick Frea said...

I actually prefer Hillary over Obama, and have found myself cheering her on. I think all these democrats endorsing Obama know that.

Anonymous said...

I am a Republican, but if my only choice was Hillary or Obama - I would definitely vote for Hillary.

Hillary despite herself is patriotic, Obama hates our nation. The fact he was not outed with the Wright issue is mindboggling and disturbing.

Hillary and Bosnia - yeah Clinton rhetoric all the way.

As for Chelsea-I really admire her. She has grown into an accomplished young woman despite her parents antics and they have been real doozies.

GrEaT sAtAn'S gIrLfRiEnD said...

I just don't think HRC is out yet - despite the democraticide and all the risible rowdy electile dysfunction happening.

I still can't get over her calling General 'Surge' Petraeus a fibber on TV. That totally made me angry and it will take a while for me to get over it.
I'm not GOP or Dem (heck, this here is my 1st 'lection) but I really like the fact that McCain is percieved by foreigners as scary, funny, crazy, unpredictable and maybe a little mean too.

He just seems like he wouldn't mind wacking illegitimate regimes, militias or resistence movements cause it was Wednesday and his back was hurting.

Chelsea may be the Clinton to do the legacy thing in the future - not her mom.

Z said...

I am not one to hand out compliments to CLINTONS, believe me, but they did something right with Chelsea. Any girl who could dance ballet on the stage at her high school knowing everyone's glued to her has poise. Made an impression on me.
As for asking her about Lewinsky, well...there IS no one who hates our media as much as I do, but that was LOW even for them.
I know from friends that Chelsea spent weeks crying on the phone with her dad when the truth came out about Lewinsky, it was very hard on her.
I have to be fair. She's a lefty kool aid drinker, for sure, but at least she drinks from a glass, so to speak!? She has some class and dignity, I think.